Monday 8 June 2015

LONDON TRIATHLON IN HYDE PARK

THE BIG EVENT WEEKEND FOR TRIATHLETES WAS HELD IN HYDE PARK AGAIN THIS YEAR

This time I went along to the first day, when nothing much was happening.  The competitors were not running, swimming or cycling.  

The course was marked out with huge inflated arches over the footpaths, there were the usual metal fences everywhere along the course and a big 'village' selling every possible goods which might appeal to triathletes.  

Since I was tired from a long walk from Horse Guards Parade, past Buckingham Palace and through most of Hyde Park by the Serpentine, I sat down and did this sketch.  Need I add, somebody came along and sat on the end of the bench, obscuring my view.  This often happens!

By the Serpentine, Triathlon weekend
HORSE GUARDS PARADE

Earlier the same day I enjoyed watching the troops parading down The Mall, bands playing merrily.

In my sketch, also later obscured by a pushy young woman, you can see the red stands in the Horse Guards, and the policemen lining the route.

It was the Saturday of the Major General's Review, Trooping the Colour.  This was a full dress rehearsal of the Queen's Birthday Parade, to be held on 13 June, 2015.

View of Horse Guards Parade, before the troops arrived

No comments: