Sunday 4 April 2010

BOAT RACE AT PUTNEY - RAINY FRIDAY, FINE SATURDAY



I produced a painting of Boat Race day at Putney some years ago, before the area around the bridge had been smartened up and totally spoilt, probably by the local council, Wandsworth.
There used to be a little cafe with adverts outside, for Tizer and Swan Vesta and other things which link me back to childhood, or at least my children's childhood. Now there is a swish modern building selling Thai food, and all the grotty banners and salesmen selling rosettes which used to be there on Boat Race Saturday are no longer.

Here is a picture of the original painting - see image at top of this post.
I am also putting on here a photo of the Putney bridge area as it is today.

I am going to work on a new Boat Race painting shortly - a 2010 version -

No comments: