Sunday 4 April 2010

'THE OLYMPIC CURSE' - AN ARTICLE BY DOMINIC LAWSON

'THE OLYMPIC CURSE' - AN ARTICLE BY DOMINIC LAWSON IN THE SUNDAY TIMES TODAY - THE ARCELOR MITTAL ORBIT OFFICIAL MONUMENT

Dominic Lawson has a brilliant article in The Sunday Times newspaper, brilliant because I agree with everything he days about the proposed public art by Anish Kapoor for the Olympics 2012.

Here is a link to the article The tower and the Olympic curse.

Particularly interesting is what he says about the bad effect the Olympic games has on tourism in Greece and Australia, and the way we Londoners are having to finance the event, like it or not, and getting very little for it.

He includes a quote from Anish Kapoor who, writes Lawson: 'said he had "referenced" the Tower of Bable when devising his 377ft structure. I'm not sure what he meant - modern artists describing their work tend to defy all attempts at comprehension - ' How true!
I can never make head nor tail of a lot of the 'art speak' attached to pieces in many galleries.

Mr Lawson also points out the disgraceful closure of more than 50 state-school sports fields, which have been sold off, with ministerial approval.

Hopefully I will be able to attend an event (I say 'an event' because of the cost) but have little hope of being able to get a seat where I can make drawings or photographs with reference to painting the sports, which is what I would like to do. I have found no way of expressing my interest of providing such pictures of our London Olympics.

No comments: