Monday 17 May 2010

ORLEANS HOUSE GALLERY - REVOLUTIONS: CYCLING AND ART

The Orleans House Gallery is in Twickenham, down a little lane near the Crown pub, and very near the Riverside (River Thames).  The Octagon is the only part of the original Orleans House still standing and it is a beautiful room, used for wedding receptions.  It dates from the 18th century.

This group exhibition was on from 7 - 14 May, 2010.

The private view was part of an open museum project, but unfortunately not many people attended, although I met some very accomplished artists.  It was an interesting exhibition of different media, including wire sculpture, prints, paintings and jewellery.

The photo etching which I  showed is called 'Brooklyn Bridge Commuter'.  I used a photo which I had taken when on a recent visit to New York City.  In New York there are a lot of cyclists and I saw many of them commuting near Brooklyn, and in particular some fine specimens of muscular cyclist!

Last Friday I met an artist, Derek Kinsett, who showed his sculpture in his current series, the Love and Femininity Collection, which I particularly admired because of its beautiful mass, delicate textures and subtle colours.  The piece is called Lady and the Bicycle, which reminds me of the lovely song White Bicycle, by Julianna Raye on her album Dominoes.  Derek told me he works in Wiltshire and gave me his web site address, which is

Inner Spirit Sculptures

I took a few photos while at the Orleans Gallery, here they are, first a photo of my etching 'Brooklyn Bridge Commuter' (on the right in the photo)  then

some of the exhibits in the Orleans Gallery Octagon room, then Derek Kinsett, by his scupture, Lady and the Bicycle

No comments: